Dr. P.B. Poorman Award for Outstanding Achievement on Behalf of LGBTQ+ People
Dr. P.B. Poorman played an instrumental role in the foundation of the UW System Inclusivity Initiative for LGBTQ People, as a member of the original Steering and Research Committees. Her contributions to improving the lives of LGBTQ students, faculty, and staff through research, teaching, service and advocacy all served to define and lay out the identity and activities of the systemwide Inclusivity Initiative. Dr. Poorman used her boundless energy, humor, and determination to bring about action within the group and to help the group gain recognition from the wider university community.
Among other accomplishments, Dr. Poorman carried out the research and laid the groundwork to bring in a nationally-known climate assessment expert to conduct a system-wide evaluation of the experiences of diverse people throughout the UW System. This achievement epitomizes Dr. Poorman’s rich contributions to creating a welcoming university climate for all individuals.
To honor Dr. Poorman’s legacy to the state of Wisconsin, the University of Wisconsin System and the LGBTQ+ communities, the UW System LGBTQ Inclusivity Initiative has established an annual award in her name. The award is intended to recognize UW System faculty, staff, students, or community members for their excellence in advocacy, research, teaching, or service on behalf of the LGBTQ+ communities.
Individuals who are UW System faculty, staff, students or community members and fit the following criteria are eligible for this award:
Successful candidates will be LGBTQ+ people or their allies whose contributions have advanced the work of diversity, equity, and Inclusive Excellence in the following ways:
- Whose advocacy, activism, or scholarship has fostered social justice and organizational
- Who have created positive transformation within their institutions and/or the
community to achieve the goals of diversity, equity, and inclusion; and
- Whose efforts are improving the climate for, or visibility of, LGBTQ people.
The selection guidelines for the Dr. P.B. Poorman Award for Outstanding Achievement on Behalf of LGBTQ+ People:
- The selection of honorees is entirely campus-based: Chancellors, in consultation with the Multicultural / Disadvantaged Coordinator, Chief Diversity Officer, Gender Studies Administrator, Ethnic Studies Administrator, Affirmative Action Administrator, LGBTQ+ Coordinator, or campus contact for Inclusive Excellence will select one honoree.
- Honorees may be drawn from the following groups: UW System faculty, staff, student, or community member.
Recipients are formally recognized at an awards ceremony and reception, held in conjunction with the Outstanding Women of Color in Education Awards.
On November 7, 2019, the UW System honored the Dr. P.B. Poorman Award recipients.
View full bios of each recipient in the
On October 9, 2015, the UW System honored the Dr. P.B. Poorman Award recipients.
View group recipient photo. View full bios of each recipient in the .