The University of Wisconsin System, a premier system of public higher education, educates approximately 161,000 students each year and employs about 35,000 faculty and staff statewide. With 13 universities across 26 campuses and a statewide extension network with offices in every county, the UW System is a tremendous academic, cultural, and economic resource for Wisconsin, the nation, and the world. The UW System and its employees are purpose-driven, people-focused, and committed to stewardship.
The Service Operations team within UW-Shared Services exists to standardize processes, consolidate operations, and streamline administrative practices in order to provide high quality services while improving administrative efficiency and effectiveness. In addition to providing high quality services, Service Operations brings value to UW institutions by reducing administrative burden and cost, thereby allowing them to invest time and resources into activities which are more central to their mission.
The Business Process Specialist provides support for the Human Resources System (HRS), Shared Financial System (SFS) or other related systems and business processes at the University of Wisconsin System Service Operations. We are currently recruiting to fill multiple positions which will support one of the following areas:
- Core HR, TAM, Finance Team: this functional team focuses on tasks related to the HR, TAM (Recruiting Solutions) and Finance areas of the ERP. This position will assist with transactional entry for job postings, journal entries, AP processing, etc.
- Core Payroll Team: This functional team focuses on tasks related to Payroll and international tax areas. Tasks include, but are not limited to, data inputs and audits centered around payroll processing. Reviewing employees data points to help get their information accurately entered into the ERP and related systems; audit information entered by employees and run queries to adjust settings within the ERP for accuracy; and perform other processes and interfaces to synch data between databases.
An in-office requirement is expected two days per week; the remaining days may be remote/telecommuting.
Technology process support of the Shared Financial System (SFS), the Human Resource System (HRS) and related operations, focused on Payroll, Business Services, Benefits or Human Resources.
- Manage multiple processing activities including entering exception transactions, performing auditing and validations, and troubleshooting customer issues.
- Analyze and perform complex entries and corrections within SFS, HRS and related systems.
- Research and interpret UW Policies, regulations, statutes and develop procedures for application within the system and related business processes. Assist with the implementation of these changes.
- Recommend and promote changes in the system and related business processes as needed to stay current and enhance operations. Work cross-functionally with other team members as needed.
Participate in development of testing, training, and reporting requirements.
- Create, organize, review and update training materials and business process documentation.
- Understand processes related to the position’s specified area of expertise.
- Manage records associated with tasks and adhere to appropriate records retention policies.
Provide end user support for more complex business process and technology needs, focused on Payroll, Business Services, Benefits or Human Resources.
- Analyze and resolve incoming customer service tickets in accordance with Service Operations timelines and standards. Collaborate with other Service Operations teams as needed.
- Courteously interact with and assist customers in order to troubleshoot problems and obtain information from the end user.
- Research, evaluate and provide feedback on problematic issues, trends and patterns and make recommendations for system improvements and/or additional training/communication opportunities.
- Oversee and/or work with the appropriate Business Analyst on system related service requests to help define and develop the nature and scope of the request. Assist with the implementation of the request.
- Represent the organization as a positive and professional team member promoting respect and civility in the workplace.
- Maintain professional job skills.
- Attend and participate in organization and unit meetings.
- Perform other assignments as directed by supervisor.
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- Associates degree OR minimum of 2 years professional work experience in Payroll, Benefits or Business Services or Human Resources (e.g. payroll processing, auditing, accounts payable, employee lifecycle processing within a HRIS system, applicant tracking system, etc.)
Well qualified applicants will also have a substantial amount of experience in a combination of the following:
- Experience providing customer support to end users
- Microsoft Office and Excel experience
- Query and SQL experience
- Experience working in a public sector or university setting
- Experience working with diverse populations
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong analytical, problem solving and judgement skills
- Ability to independently perform work assignments
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The UW System is required to conduct a criminal background and sexual harassment check for the selected finalist prior to employment.
Please note that successful applicants are responsible for ensuring their eligibility to work in the United States (i.e., a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, a foreign national authorized to work in the United States without the need of employer sponsorship) on or before the effective date of appointment.
The office location is in Madison, WI. An in-office requirement is expected two days per week; the remaining days may be remote/telecommuting.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Business Process Specialist is a full-time, salaried (exempt), Academic staff position. Well-qualified candidates can expect a starting annual salary within a range of $50,000 – $65,000 commensurate with the candidate’s education, related experience, and qualifications.
UW System employees receive an excellent benefits package. To learn more about the benefits package, review the Faculty, Academic Staff & Limited Appointees Please see this link for total compensation information: UW System Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator to provide you with total compensation information.
To ensure full consideration, please submit application materials as soon as possible. Applicant screening will begin immediately and be ongoing through Sunday, April 2, 2023. However, applications may be accepted until the position has been filled.
- Go to the UWSA Applicant Portal to submit your materials online and select the appropriate applicant portal, either External Applicants or Internal Applicants and click on the position title that you want to apply for.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and be sure to include your salary expectations when asked in our applicant tracking. In addition, please be sure to upload ALL THREE of the required documents: resume, cover letter, and references as PDF files. Failing to include any of these documents may disqualify your application.
- Your cover letter MUST specifically address how your education and experience relate to the and qualifications. Be sure to emphasize the areas outlined under “Minimum and Preferred.”
- Your reference page should include the names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers for three professional references with at least one being from a current or previous supervisor.
- Submit your application.
The University of Wisconsin System Administration is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, minorities, and person with disabilities.
Questions may be addressed to: Sarah Wilson, HR Business Partner, at firstname.lastname@example.org.