The University of Wisconsin System The University of Wisconsin System is one of the largest systems of public higher education in the country, educating approximately 165,000 students each year and employing 40,000 faculty and staff statewide. With 13 universities across 26 campuses and a statewide extension network with offices in every county, the UW System is a tremendous academic, cultural, and economic resource for Wisconsin, the nation, and the world.
The Strategic Information Security Manager is responsible for working with the Office of Information Security (OIS) leadership, the Office of Learning and Information Technology Services (OLITS) and campus leadership, to manage an information security (IS) portfolio of services, programs and projects that support the services of OIS, OLITS and the institution’s information technology (IT) strategy and goals.
This position is responsible for providing information security leadership and support of security service delivery under the IT as a Service (ITaaS) program. The ITaaS program is intended to leverage the enterprise scale across the University of Wisconsin System for commodity information technology and information security services to improve quality, effectiveness, and efficiency.
The Strategic Information Security Manager will work with UW System Administration business units and campus partners to implement solutions that meet UW System information security policies and standards. They will act as a project manager for new security initiatives, facilitate solution delivery for activities outside of the standard ITaaS security services, and will provide campus leadership engagement for ITaaS security services customers.
This position will routinely collaborate with UW Institution Chief Information Officers (CIO), UW Technology and Information Security Council (TISC), UW System Office of Compliance and Integrity, UW System Office of Finance and Administration, and UW System Office of Internal Audit, to assess risk and ensure alignment on security policies, government regulations, Legislative Audit Bureau findings and industry standards. This position is expected to be a subject matter expert in project management, and IT services delivery.
- Responsible for project management support for information security related projects.
- Provide information security consultation and guidance for ITaaS security services partners.
- Provide Payment Card Industry (PCI) technical consulting support.
- Attend formal training, conferences, and workshops to increase knowledge of information protection and information security in enterprise systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three or more years’ IT project management experience.
- Must display working knowledge of NIST, HIPAA, or PCI Data Security Standard, along with virtual environments and cloud computing services.
- Experience working independently to conduct technical investigations with diverse constituents, providing detailed written reports and presentations.
- Demonstrated experience applying PCI data security standards and practices.
- Experience with typical application components such as web servers, application servers, database software, middleware and underlying infrastructure devices, operating systems for servers, workstations and a broad range of applications, hosts, and network security devices.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Demonstrated project management success for large, complex, IT projects.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Handle Ambiguity – Must be able to handle conflicting needs/input and a lack of a clear direction/specificity to persistently seek clarity and arrive at successful outcomes.
- Excellent written, presentation, and verbal communication skills.
- Results driven with a passion to influence change and a strong attention to detail.
- Effective and creative problem-solving skills.
- Professional attitude, courteous, and collaborative towards internal and external customers, third party business partners/suppliers, and other employees, particularly in collaborating with technical IT professionals to accomplish project objectives.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The UW System is required to conduct a criminal background and sexual harassment check for final candidate(s) prior to employment.
Please note that successful applicants are responsible for ensuring their eligibility to work in the United States (i.e., a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, a foreign national authorized to work in the United States without the need of employer sponsorship) on or before the effective date of appointment
This position may work a hybrid schedule with some days in the office and the ability to work some remotely. Preference will be given to Wisconsin residents.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Strategic Information Security Manager is a full-time position. The official title is IT Portfolio Manager I (Inst). Well-qualified candidates can expect a starting annual salary within a range of $85,000 – $100,000 commensurate with the candidate’s education, related experience, and qualifications.
UW System employees receive an excellent benefits package. To learn more about the benefits package, review the UW System Employee Benefits Brochure.
To ensure full consideration, please submit application materials as soon as possible. Applicant screening will begin immediately and be ongoing through 11:55 pm, Sunday, December 11, 2022. However, applications may be accepted until the position has been filled.
- Go to the UWSA Applicant Portalto submit your materials online and select the appropriate applicant portal, either External Applicants or Internal Applicants and click on the position title that you want to apply for.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and be sure to include your salary expectations when asked in our applicant tracking In addition, please be sure to upload ALL THREE of the required documents: resume, cover letter, and references as PDF files. Failing to include any of these documents may disqualify your application.
- Your cover letter MUST specifically address how your education and experience relate to the position and qualifications. Be sure to emphasize the areas outlined under “Minimum ”
- Your reference page should include the names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers for three professional references with at least one being from a current or previous
- Submit your application.
The University of Wisconsin System Administration is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, minorities, and person with disabilities.
Questions may be addressed to: Sarah Wilson, HR Business Partner, at email@example.com