The University of Wisconsin System is one of the largest systems of public higher education in the country, educating approximately 165,000 students each year and employing 40,000 faculty and staff statewide. With 13 universities across 26 campuses and a statewide extension network with offices in every county, the UW System is a tremendous academic, cultural, and economic resource for Wisconsin, the nation, and the world.
The Office of Financial Administration has the primary responsibility for the fiscal integrity of the University of Wisconsin System. It is expected to provide a financial environment that is secure, encourages the accomplishment of academic missions, provides timely and accurate information, and assists all levels of management in making prudent financial decisions.
The Financial Manager position will report to the Associate Controller and is an operational accountant in the role of supporting Financial Administration that provides accounting, reporting, and policy services to all institutions in the UW System.
The individual in this position provides leadership and accounting expertise in one or more business processes, provides direction and coordination of the team members and activities, demonstrates a high degree of customer support and relationship management, and promotes operational efficiencies.
This position assists in managing UW System’s complex accounting structure consisting of numerous funds, day-to-day accounting activities, development and maintenance of accounting records, processing of accounting transactions, reconciliation of accounts, and closing of accounting records. This position is further responsible for preparation of systemwide financial reports and analysis, development and maintenance of complex automated financial systems, development, and implementation of financial policies.
Responsibilities include the following key activities:
- Management, development, and maintenance of accounting records, processing of accounting transactions, reconciliation of accounts, and closing of accounting records.
- Develop accounting policies and procedures to maintain proper internal controls. This position will lead training sessions to educate staff on the related policies, procedures and accounting systems.
- Preparation of Financial Reports, Financial Analysis, and Budget Monitoring
- Development and maintenance of complex automated financial systems
- Lead/Supervise financial staff in a collaborative, positive, teamwork environment with a high degree of customer service.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited institution.
- Five or more years of progressively responsible financial management experience including accounting, financial reporting, and budgeting.
- Experience working with complex automated accounting systems, including database and query, and compiling financial information from on-line or web-based financial management and accounting systems
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with various levels of University staff and officials.
- Experience in the interpretation, development, and implementation of complex policies, procedures, and rules relating to accounting and internal controls.
- Demonstrated experience in leading a collaborative team environment.
- Two or more years of supervisory experience.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in financial administration.
- CPA – Certified Public Accountant.
- Knowledge of and ability to use creative problem-solving techniques.
- Experience working with the UW System or state.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The UW System is required to conduct a criminal background and sexual harassment check for final candidate(s) prior to employment. Please note that successful applicants are responsible for ensuring their eligibility to work in the United States (i.e., a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, a foreign national authorized to work in the United States without the need of employer sponsorship) on or before the effective date of appointment
The office location is 780 Regent St., Madison, WI 53715. Telecommuting or hybrid work options (combination of remote work and in-office) may be available to Wisconsin residents only.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Financial Manager is a full-time, salaried, exempt, academic position. The official title is Financial Manager. Well-qualified candidates can expect a starting annual salary within a range of $74,200.00 – 91,800.00 commensurate with the candidate’s education, related experience, and qualifications.
UW System employees receive an excellent benefits package. To learn more about the benefits package, review the UW System Employee Benefits Brochure.
To ensure full consideration, please submit application materials as soon as possible. Applicant screening will begin immediately and be ongoing through Sunday, August 14, 2022. However, applications may be accepted until the position has been filled.
- Go to the UWSA Applicant Portal to submit your materials online and select the appropriate applicant portal, either External Applicants or Internal Applicants and click on the position title that you want to apply for.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and be sure to include your salary expectations when asked in our applicant tracking In addition, please be sure to upload ALL THREE of the required documents: resume, cover letter, and references as PDF files. Failing to include any of these documents may disqualify your application.
- Your cover letter MUST specifically address how your education and experience relate to the position and qualifications. Be sure to emphasize the areas outlined under “Minimum ”
- Your reference page should include the names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers for three professional references with at least one being from a current or previous supervisor.
- Include a statement of whether you wish to have your application held in confidence or made available to the public upon request. Please note that in the absence of any statement regarding confidentiality, we will assume you do not wish to have your application held in confidence. The UW System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
- Submit your application.
The University of Wisconsin System Administration is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, minorities, and person with disabilities.
Questions may be addressed to: Angie Koppen, Human Resources, at email@example.com