To ensure full consideration, please submit application materials as soon as possible. Applicant screening will begin immediately and be ongoing through WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2019.
*** Please upload your documents in PDF file format. ***
Reporting to the Executive Director of UW HELP and the Senior IS Systems Development Architect, these positions function independently with limited supervisory review of technical recommendations and solutions. These positions independently resolve conflicts and problems through the skilled application of theoretical and practical knowledge of the specialized area; as well as the application of general policies, UWSA and campus partner IS policies and standards. Work assignments are challenging and complex. Positions at this level interact with division administration and IS customers as well as other professional IS managers and staff in the completion of assigned responsibilities.
Major responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
Systems Analysis and Design:
- Create plans for projects involving multi-tiered applications and enterprise systems.
- Consult with public users and project stakeholders outside the department in order to define and document application requirements; estimate time and costs, recommend alternatives and evaluate impact to existing operations and applications.
- Design application architectures, database structures and user interfaces.
- Analyze project requirements and provide written specifications detailing potential development issues and proposed solutions.
- Provide information and training in supported applications and systems to non-technical stakeholders, both inside and outside of the department.
Application Development and Enhancement:
- Design, create, test and implement modules and multi-tiered applications.
- Design and utilize relational and document-oriented databases.
- Prepare, coordinate and execute test plans to be administered by the development team(s) and non-technical project stakeholders.
- Prepare documentation for the development team(s), as well as other project stakeholders, both technical and non-technical.
- Review applications and modules before implementation to ensure they adhere to the division’s preferred methodologies, standards and policies; develop new standards as appropriate.
- Integrate 3rd party packages and plugins into existing applications and systems.
- Perform data migrations.
Application Maintenance and Support:
- Collaborate with those both inside and outside of the UW System in order to provide technical and functional support of enterprise applications and systems.
- Quickly diagnose and resolve problems with supported applications.
- Review applications and modules for structures or practices that might obstruct maintenance efforts and/or future enhancements.
To be considered for these positions, applicants must have:
- At least two years of work experience implementing and supporting multi-tiered, production applications.
- Strong knowledge of OOAD, relational database design, and the software development life cycle.
- Strong knowledge of web development standards, best practices, and basic design concepts.
- Proven ability to design, optimize and integrate business processes across disparate systems.
- Excellent communication skills in technical and non-technical settings.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to quickly learn programming languages and augment technical experience.
- Ability to effectively adapt to nascent technology and apply it to business needs.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to strategically prioritize and execute on assigned tasks.
- Ability to maintain a client-centered focus.
Well-qualified candidates will also have:
- Professional experience with a LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP).
- Professional experience with ASP.NET, VB.NET and Oracle databases.
- Professional experience with Node.js, MongoDB, React Native and Meteor.
- Professional experience with Drupal.
- Professional experience developing for mobile platforms (native iOS/Android or cross-platform).
- Experience in web services development.
Conditions of Employment
These positions are full-time, exempt (salaried) academic staff positions. The successful candidates can expect to make between $58,000 – $75,000 on an annual basis commensurate with qualifications and experience. UW System employees receive an excellent benefit package. To learn more about the UWSA comprehensive benefit package, please access ALEX, the UW System’s on-line virtual benefits counselor. In addition to ALEX, you can read our benefit summary guide: Summary – Faculty, Academic Staff & Limited Appointees. Furthermore, the UW System Total Compensation Estimator is a tool designed to provide you with total compensation information.
SPECIAL NOTE:The UW System conducts criminal background checks for final candidate(s). It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. For individuals selected as finalists, a presentation on a selected topic will be required.
More information about thecan be found in the complete advertisement.
To ensure full consideration, please submit application materials as soon as possible. Applicant screening will begin immediately and be ongoing through WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2019.
For more information on the University of Wisconsin System, access our site at http://www.wisconsin.edu/.
The University of Wisconsin System Administration is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.