The preferred methods for connecting to Office 365 are the Outlook Web Application with a web browser and the Microsoft Outlook clients for Windows and OS X. These methods deliver the best level of functionality with the Office 365 services.
UW-Madison researched client functionality extensively and published a detailed ‘grid’ of client compatibility and functionality. Find that document here, in the DoIT Knowledgebase (link opens in new tab).
You can connect to Office 365 from any internet connected computer.
- Open your preferred browser and go to outlook.office365.com.
- Login in using your full e-mail address as your username and your UWSA network password.
- Email address or Username: your UWSA email, ex: email@example.com
- Password: your UWSA email password
- Incoming mail server: outlook.office365.com
IMAP Email clients
- Incoming mail server port: 587
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.office365.com
- Incoming (IMAP) and outgoing (SMTP) security type: one of the following
- TLS (STARTTLS)
Configuring Popular Mobile Email Applications
The Exchange server is outlook.office365.com.
Desktop Client Guides
Microsoft Outlook 2010/2013 for Microsoft Windows Systems
Microsoft Outlook 2011 for OS X
- UW-Madison Guide For Microsoft Outlook 2011 for OS X
- UW-Milwaukee Guide For Microsoft Outlook 2011 for OS X
Apple OS X Mail and Calendar
- UW-Madison Guide For Apple OS X Mail and Calendar
- UW-Milwaukee Guide For Apple OS X Mail and Calendar