How has the application process changed?

Students should continue to apply to the two-year or four-year UW campus they wish to attend. Go to UW HELP to get more information on applying to a UW campus that meets your needs and educational goals. Once a student has selected the two-year or four-year UW campus and education track that meets their needs and goals, they should apply at

Will application fees be changed for two-years campuses for the fall 2018 term?

The application fee will be waived for all applicants applying to two-year campuses for the upcoming fall 2018 term. Waiving the application fee is a show of our continued commitment to the access and affordability mission of these campuses and eliminates one barrier to entry for prospective students to apply during this transition. The application fee is waived for UW Colleges Online and AAS Flex through November 1.


What is going to happen with the athletics programs at the two-year institutions?

Athletics programs at two-year institutions will be maintained during the restructure within NCAA guidelines. Athletics at the two-year branch campuses will operate using a “club sport” model beginning with the 2018-2019 academic year. The amount of competition available for teams under the WCC will depend on what each affiliated four-year and two-year campus determines. The club athletics will be funded through allocable segregated fees and will function under the structure and direction of the Wisconsin Collegiate Conference (WCC).

What will happen with athletics programs at the four-year campuses?

The UW System will work with the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletics Conference (WIAC) and the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) to determine the structure of student athletics at the comprehensive and integrated campuses.


I am a current UW Colleges student. Will I still be able to take classes at my campus?

Yes. Some course names may change to align with the affiliated four-year campus in the future, but the course and program offerings will remain the same. We are committed to making the transition as smooth as possible for students. The goal is to offer more courses at the integrated two-year campuses so that students will have more choices provided by the four-year or research institution.

Will more courses be offered at the two-year campuses?

The goal is to offer more courses at the integrated campuses so that students will have more choices provided by the four-year or research institution.

What will happen to collaborative programs between two-year campuses and UW institutions that are not being integrated under the proposal?

Successful collaborative partnerships and programs should continue, regardless of whether a UW institution and a two-year campus are affiliated post-integration. We will continue to encourage and build upon innovative programs that enable student success.

Can I enroll in courses concurrently at multiple branch campuses for the 2018-2019 academic year?

Yes. Students will be able to enroll in courses concurrently at multiple branch campuses for the 2018-2019 academic year. (May 29, 2018)

If I am enrolled in the online AAS degree through UW Colleges Online as my home campus, will there be a code change?

Yes. Students enrolled in the online AAS degree who have selected UW Colleges Online as their home campus will be assigned in the UW Colleges PRISM student information system to the branch campus closest to their zip code.


I’m attending a two-year UW Colleges branch campus and want to transfer to a non-UW institution. Are the credits I earned at the two-year campus before July 1, 2018, from the two-year campus or from the four-year UW institution that it is now affiliated with?

The credits you earned from a two-year branch campus prior to July 1, 2018, are from the two-year branch campus you attended. Also, credits earned at the two-year branch campus from July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019, will be on the transcript at the two-year branch campus you attended.

After July 1, 2019, the credits you earn at a two-year institution will be included on a transcript at the four-year institution.

Can I still transfer to other UW four-year institutions? Or do I have to attend the four-year institution associated with my two-year campus?

Students will still be able to transfer between all UW System institutions, just as you can now, so long as you meet the institution’s admissions requirements. One of the major goals of this proposal is to make transferring credits easier within the UW System.

Courses completed on branch campuses in 2018-2019 will reflect the same content and outcomes as UW Colleges courses completed in 2017-2018 and will transfer in line with the UW Colleges 2017-2018 transfer agreements. Courses completed after the 2018-2019 academic year will be subject to the transfer agreements of the four-year receiving institution.

What is going to happen to the guaranteed transfer program?

The guaranteed transfer programs will continue to be honored. We are also committed to improving transfer to all comprehensive and research institutions.

I am a current student working toward meeting the requirements of the Badger Promise program. How will the restructuring affect that?

Any student currently enrolled at UW Colleges who is already working towards meeting the requirements of the Badger Promise transfer agreement will still be eligible for the transfer, as well as the financial support aspects of the Badger Promise program. Further details will be worked out during the implementation phase.

Financial Aid

Will the FAFSA application process change for the 2018-2019 academic year?

No. During the 2018-2019 academic year, both the process for completing the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) and the FAFSA codes will remain the same.

I received financial aid through UW Colleges in 2018-2019. How will this change affect me?

You must manually change the code on your FAFSA for 2019-2020 so it has the correct code.

Will the FAFSA application process change for the 2019-2020 academic year?

If you apply to a two-year campus, then yes. As of October 1, 2018, if you are applying for financial aid for 2019-2020, you must use the FAFSA code for the four-year comprehensive and research university in the region you are applying to. For example, if you apply to UW Barron County, you must use the FAFSA code for UW-Eau Claire.

How do I apply with the correct code?

Apply online at Starting October 1, 2018, use these FAFSA school codes for 2019-2020:

FAFSA School Codes for 2019-2020
UW-Eau Claire (SCHOOL CODE – 003917)

  • UW-Barron County
UW-Green Bay (SCHOOL CODE 003899)

  • UW-Manitowoc
  • UW-Marinette
  • UW-Sheboygan
UW-Milwaukee (SCHOOL CODE – 003896)

  • UW-Washington County
  • UW-Waukesha
  • UW-Flexible Option
UW-Oshkosh (SCHOOL CODE – 003920)

  • UW-Fond du Lac
  • UW-Fox Valley
UW-Platteville (SCHOOL CODE – 003921)

  • UW-Baraboo/Sauk County
  • UW-Richland
UW-Stevens Point (SCHOOL CODE – 003924)

  • UW-Marathon County
  • UW-Marshfield/Wood County
UW-Whitewater (SCHOOL CODE – 003926)

  • UW-Rock County

What happens if I use an incorrect school code in 2019-2020?

Applications that have a UW Colleges school code listed will not be processed for 2019-2020. If an incorrect school code was originally reported when the 2019-2020 FAFSA was filed:

  1. Log back into and select “make a correction.”
  2. Update the school code to reflect the four-year UW institution affiliated with the two-year branch campus.
  3. Be sure to go all the way to the end! Sign and RESUBMIT your application.

Who should I contact for assistance?

You can contact the Financial Aid Office at the respective four-year UW institution using the email addresses listed above.

How will the restructuring affect scholarships?

The restructuring shouldn’t affect scholarships, but you should check with your Financial Aid office on campus to make sure.

Library Service

Will my access to library services change at my two-year branch campus?

Your access to electronic and print resources at your campus library is the same. Continue using your UW Colleges log-in information to remotely access electronic resources, check out materials, and make UW System Resource Sharing and Interlibrary Loan requests. Check your campus library website for building and services information.

Access to these resources will eventually transition to the four-year campus. You will be notified in advance of this transition with new student credentials.

Please let your local librarians know if you have questions or are concerned about a resource you use or a service you need.

Segregated Fees

How will student organizations at the two-year institutions be affected by the restructuring?

Student life is an integral part of the college experience, and funding from student segregated fees at those campuses will continue to support student organizations after they are integrated.

How will segregated fees at the two-year and four-year campuses be affected by the restructuring?

Full-time AAS students at branch campuses will be charged existing UW Colleges segregated fees. Full-time baccalaureate students will be charged existing four-year campus segregated fees. The four-year receiving institutions will determine segregated fees for other scenarios. (May 14, 2018)

Student Governance

How will student governance be affected by the restructuring?

According to Wisconsin State law (Wis. Stats. § 36.09(5)), students determine how they are organized at each campus. Student governance leaders will be asked to determine how they would best like to be organized moving forward. This conversation would occur as part of the implementation planning process.


How will my tuition be affected?

Post-integration, we will maintain existing tuition levels for classes currently offered at the two-year institutions to keep them affordable for students and families. Our two-year campuses are important access points for students, particularly those at greater risk of not being able to afford college: first generation, low income, and rural students.

Tuition will not change for 2018-19. Read more about tuition and fees for 2019-20 for Association of Arts (AAS) students at branch campuses, baccalaureate students at four-year campuses, and online courses (May 14, 2018).


I am a UW Colleges alum. Where should I go to for my transcript and other records?

Alumni should request their transcripts from UW Colleges here.



Contact Us

Questions about the Fall 2018, Spring 2019, and Summer 2019 semesters, contact:

  • Admissions: 888-INFO-UWC (463-6892)
  • Financial Aid: 608-262-5928
  • General questions: 888-INFO-UWC (463-6892)

For questions regarding the Fall 2019 semester, contact the affiliated four-year institution.

What's Your Question?

If you have a question about the restructuring and do not see your answer here, please feel free to submit your questions about the proposal online.

Subscribe via RSS

Never miss a News Stories post by following our RSS feed. Learn about options for subscribing via RSS.