Revised: October 23, 1997
Negotiations with the Department of Administration (DOA) have resulted in additional delegation of the telecommunications approval process, necessitating development of the new, long-term policies and procedures reflected in this revised GAPP.
Important: This FAP does not apply to computing acquisition approvals. Please refer to UW System Administrative Policy 1010 (SYS 1010), Computing Acquisitions Responsibility and Authority in regard to delegation of responsibility and authority for computing acquisitions approval.
This is not a purchasing process. Contact your institutional purchasing office for information on appropriate procurement methods.
- Section 16.99 of the Wisconsin Statutes gives the Department of Administration the responsibility to ensure maximum utility, cost benefit and operational efficiency of all telecommunications systems of the State.
- All voice and data communications services with annual expenditures of more than $10,000 or voice/data telecommunications equipment expenditures of more than $10,000 have required the filing of a Telecommunications System Study Report (TSSR) with the Division of Technology Management (DTM) for approval to proceed. Equipment and services include, but are not limited to, voice processing, video conferencing, PBX and key systems, ACD, non-STS long distance, ISDN and IVR, and LAN interconnection (WAN) services.
- A delegation agreement with DOA delegates to the University of Wisconsin System responsibility for review and approval of telecommunications equipment and services for the following areas:
- Cable services for Student Life
- Satellite receiving equipment for Student Life.
- Satellite programming for Student Life.
- Cable services for Instruction and Research.
- Satellite receiving equipment for Instruction and Research.
- Satellite programming for Instruction and Research.
- Radio and television broadcast, production and distribution equipment.
- All other acquisitions costing $10,000 or less.
In addition to the policies set forth in this paper, delegation of responsibility authority for telecommunications acquisition approval is subject to the following rules and regulations:
- Section 16.99, Wisconsin Statutes, Telecommunications Operations and Planning.
- Telecommunications System Study Report, DOA-6497.
- The institutions of the University System are delegated telecommunications approval responsibility for the equipment and services as delegated to the System.
- Delegated acquisition approvals must be documented with the documentation filed in Purchasing with the bid file for audit purposes.
- Delegated acquisitions are part of implementing the institution’s Information Technology plan.
V. Delegation Criteria
- $0 to $10,000 – Use standard campus approval procedures.
- $10,000 and above – Prepare approval request describing program need or deficiency, consequences of unmet need, solutions considered, reasons for choosing proposed solution and cost of proposed solution (see request format in Section VI.)
VI. Request Format
If an institution determines from the delegation criteria in Section V. that System Administration approval is needed, the institution should pre-notify System Administrations Office of Learning and Information Technology immediately, and then submit the following information to the Associate Vice President, Office of Learning and Information Technology, Room 1554 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706-1559, 10 working days prior to the date approvals are needed:
- Cover letter signed by the Chancellor or Vice Chancellor or their designee.
- Information as outlined in the telecommunications approval process format (see below).
- Five-year, life-cycle cost spreadsheet (see below).
Approval Request Format
Please provide the following information. Only brief information is expected.
Describe the history of the telecommunications environment which surrounds the request. Include previous telecommunications upgrades.
- State how this acquisition relates to your institutions current, Board-approved plan.
- State what is needed based on your current campus academic and other planning priorities.
- State how the request fulfills a specific institutional need.
State what constitutes the approval request (e.g., costs, equipment, services, etc.).
State how this acquisition helps implement the Systemwide information technology plan.
- Review survey of like systems at other institutions.
- List and explain alternatives considered.
- For applications, list and explain alternative customer and vendor designs.
- State reasons, costs and benefits for the recommended solution.
- State reasons for alternatives rejected.
- Discuss the next projected upgrade, include the time frame and equipment involved.
- Describe increased capacity or function provided.
- Review impact on staff.
Describe cost of acquiring and supporting the system over its life cycle using this Approval Request Format as a guideline.
This documentation, with appropriate institution approvals, will be filed for purposes of postaudit.
Each institution will periodically audit its delegated acquisitions to ensure that they comply with the policy.
The delegated acquisitions may also be reviewed in connection with financial audits.