this interim policy action expired on may 31, 2020.
Original Issuance Date: March 24, 2020
Expiration Date: May 31, 2020
1. Interim Policy Purpose
This interim policy provides an extension for the annual report of administrative support when the total administrative support provided to Primary Fundraising Foundations or Other Affiliated Organizations is valued at $100,000 or greater. UW System Administration (UWSA) understands that during the COVID-19 pandemic, resources are being diverted to activities other than employees’ routine activities. As such, this interim policy provides institutions additional time to complete their report accounting for administrative support for FY2019.
2. Related System Administrative Policies
This policy temporarily amends portions of SYS 362, University Administrative Support of Primary Fundraising Foundations and Other Affiliated Organizations, Section 6.
This policy applies to all Primary Fundraising and Other Affiliated Organizations that receive administrative support from the UW System or a UW institution.
Administrative Support: The personnel, facilities, or other monetary or material resources of UW System or a UW institution provided to a Primary Fundraising Foundation or Other Affiliated Organization without direct and full reimbursement.
Other Affiliated Organization: An entity that is legally distinct from the University but is organized and operated for the benefit and in support of the University and/or conducts activities that advance the mission of the University. Unless otherwise expressly authorized by the Board of Regents, affiliated organizations must hold a valid tax-exempt organization and corporate status under federal and applicable state law. The definition of affiliated organizations for this exercise excludes the following:
- University-recognized student, faculty, or staff groups or organizations
- Advisory councils established under the auspices and direction of an academic or administrative official for the benefit of the unit
- Other state agencies or statutorily-created entities, such as the UW Hospitals and Clinics Authority
- Research sponsors
- Licensees that do not otherwise have affiliate status
- University auxiliary enterprises
- Commercial contractors and vendors
- Lessors and lessees
- Labor unions
- Individuals, such as University retirees and alumni
- Institutions with which the University has programmatic affiliation agreements designed principally for student clinical program placements or scholar exchanges
- Subsidiaries of primary University foundations (covered under the 501(c)3 status of that primary foundation)
Primary Fundraising Foundations: Any entity subject to Regent Policy 21-9, Institutional Relationships with Foundations.
5. Interim Policy Statement
1. Primary Fundraising Foundation and Other Affiliated Organization Administrative Support and Benefits Report Extension
- The deadline for providing a report of the accounting of administrative support when the total administrative support provided to the Primary Fundraising Foundation or Other Affiliated Organization is valued at $100,000 or greater is now extended from March 31st, 2020 to May 31st, 2020.
2. Primary Fundraising Foundation and Other Affiliated Organization Administrative Support and Benefits Report Contents
- This interim policy does not amend the expected contents of the reporting. This accounting shall still include a comparison of administrative support provided and benefits received from the Primary Fundraising Foundation or Other Affiliated Organization, in a format developed by and submitted to the Vice President for Finance (see Supplemental Documents).
3. Primary Fundraising Foundation and Other Affiliated Organization Administrative Support and Benefits Reports Extension Applicability
- The extension of the report deadline to May 31st only applies to the current year, during the COVID-19 pandemic. Beginning in 2021, the deadline for the reporting for the prior fiscal year will be as stated in SYS 362, University Administrative Support of Primary Fundraising Foundations and Other Affiliated Organizations.