UW System Administrative Policy & Procedures
On June 21, President Cross approved revisions to SYS 410, Purchase & Payment of Business Air Travel.
Please find a detailed description of the approved policy revisions below:
The effective and approval date of this policy is June 21, 2019.
Summary of Policy Revisions
- SYS 410, Purchase & Payment of Business Air Travel,provides direction for booking airfare to faculty, staff, students, and non-employees when traveling for university sponsored purposes. The policy was revised because UW System has identified instances where the program cannot meet business needs or where greater flexibility is needed. Revisions include the following:
- The addition of Section 6B: Exemptions to Policy, which details exemptions to the required reservations methods and/or use of contracts described in the policy.
- The allowance of Economy Plus tickets for international flights with 8 hours or more of total flight time.
- Clarification was made regarding the usage of frequent flyer miles, vouchers, or certificates redeemed while flying for university purposes.
- Clean-up and/or clarification of policy wording throughout policy.
- Conversion into the standardized policy template, which includes moving language into the appropriate section of the template and consistent formatting.
Affected Areas on Campuses
- The UW System Office of Financial Administration is responsible for communicating the policy to campuses.
- The policy applies to faculty, staff, students, and non-employees traveling for university sponsored purposes.
Expectations of Campuses on UWSA Policy Reporting
- Institutions are expected to follow this policy. However, SYS 405, Travel and Expense – General Travel & Expense Policy, allows for CBOs to grant travel exceptions when needed/appropriate.
- No further communication is planned at this time.