On January 13, 2017, President Cross approved revisions to UW System Administrative Policy 425, Use of Personal Vehicles, Rental Cars and Fleet for Business Transportation.
Policy and procedural changes were made due to changes in the vehicle rental contracts and to update the standard mileage reimbursement rate for personal vehicle use. A summary of the policy and related procedural changes are as follows:
- The Big Ten Alliance has extended the contract with Enterprise Holdings (for both Enterprise & National Car Rental) for a 2 year period. Contract amendments now allow youthful drivers (age 18-20) to use this contract for UW sponsored domestic rentals with same rates/insurance coverages. Previously the UW sponsored youthful driver had to rent under the State of Wisconsin/NASPO (formerly WSCA) contract with Enterprise, National, or Hertz.
- With change of contract, the Big Ten contract will become the primary vehicle rental contract for UW System sponsored rentals.
- The Big Ten contract continues to allow personal/leisure use for University drivers age 21 and over as an additional benefit. This includes free Emerald Club annual membership with National. Personal use provisions apply to spouse/partner and adult children age 21 & over that reside in employee’s household. Retirees can also use the contract for leisure. Consultants, contractors and students age 18-20 are restricted by contract and insurance coverages to domestic rentals and business use only.
- Enterprise & National have expanded coverage in international markets – participating locations, rates and terms are included in the contract.
- Hertz available under the State of Wisconsin/NASPO contract will be used as a secondary contract when the Big Ten contract doesn’t serve the location or does not have necessary vehicles available. Consultants, contractors and other non-employees conducting business for the University are prohibited from using the State of Wisconsin/NASPO contract and must use the Big Ten contract for rentals.
- The Big Ten amendment also provides pricing and insurance coverage for 12 and 15 passenger vans for those institutions that allow the use. Employee drivers age 21 and over must be trained and certified by Risk Management prior to use. When required to rent 12 & 15 passenger vans, rentals will be made under the Big Ten contract when available in the location. Enterprise and National will require proof of required training/certification at vehicle pick-up.
- The Big Ten contract now offers pricing for both personal & business use car share programs, commercial truck rentals and longer term vehicle lease.
- IRS announced on 12/13/2016 the Federal government adjustment to the standard mileage rate effective with travel on 1/1/2017 – decrease from $.54/mile to $.535/mile. Business use of a motorcycle – decrease from $.51/mile to $.505/mil
- Consolidate vehicle reservations under the Big Ten contract, as primary, using Concur or Fox World Travel agents for reservations, including leisure rentals. There are no booking fees assessed for vehicle reservations. Enterprise & National are designated as “Most Preferred” within Concur and the process automates the application of the contract id, insurance provisions and transmission of traveler and reservation data directly to the supplier. Reminder: Car rental reservations are guarantee only – driver must pay all rental charges by credit card at vehicle return.
- Continue to allow reservations by phone when using the local outlet that serves the institution.
- Business Rule: Concur will prompt user to select an explanation code when not reserving with Enterprise or National. These will be reported as exceptions to the insitution’s travel office on a monthly basis.
- Hertz is listed as a secondary contract within Concur and is designated as “Preferred”.
- Both the Big Ten and State of Wisconsin contract summary and procedural pages have been updated on UW TravelWIse, under Procedures, to reflect these changes. This includes new international service locations, pricing and terms.
- With the change in the standard mileage rate(s), both the Expense Module and Excel TER form have been updated to reflect this change. Also updated with the change are the Traveler and Visitor Reference Guides.