On July 17, Interim President Thompson approved a technical revision to SYS 1244, Summer Prepay Deductions and Summer Session Benefits Eligibility.
Please see a detailed description of the policy revision below.
This policy will be effective upon approval.
Summary of Policy and Policy Revisions
- SYS 1244, Summer Prepay Deductions and Summer Session Benefits Eligibility establishes guidelines for maintaining employee benefit coverage over the summer months for faculty, academic staff, limited appointees, student assistants and employees-in-training that are on an academic year contract or on an annual contract that does not include work during one or more summer months, benefit eligibility for employees whose first appointment is a summer service or summer session appointment, and administration of benefit changes that occur during a short work break (SWB).
- In Section 4.H. Employer Responsibility for Payment of Fringe Benefits for Summer Coverage when Employee Transfers between UW System Institutions, additional verbiage was added to the last sentence to read: “The spring appointment should continue and be placed on a SWB. The spring appointment termination date must align with the end of the summer appointment; or the date the employee is returned from SWB, whichever is later.”
- This revision is designed to align the policy with the process. The way the policy is previously makes the assumption that all summer appointments end in August, which is not the case. If the spring appointment is ended when the summer appointment does and it is in June or July, coverage could be terminated early.
Affected Areas on Campuses
- This policy applies to all UW institutions except for UW-Madison.
- UW institutions must adhere to the provisions of this policy.
- No further communication is planned at this time.