DECEMBER 2019 POLICY DISTRIBUTION REMINDER
As a reminder, one policy and one proposed policy rescission were included in the December 2019 SYS policy institutional distribution.
To view and comment on the policies, please click on the links above. Please submit your comments (which may include attachments such as word documents, PDFs, etc.) through the links above. Doing so ensures your feedback is captured and reviewed during the post-comment period.
The deadline to review and submit feedback for the policies and procedure via the comment form has been extended to Friday, January 17.
Summary of Policy and Policy Revisions
Similar to SYS 1201, Affirmative Action Data, the purpose of this policy is to ensure that Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity (AA/EEO) data is collected by all UW institutions in a manner that is consistent with federally mandated definitions using a reliable collection technique. Revisions to the policy incorporate elements of affirmative action data collection previously found in SYS 1201, Affirmative Action Data, including:
• In Background section, added references to Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) survey regulations;
• Added “Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander” and “Two or More Races” to Racial/ethnic heritage categories definition;
• Replaced the definition for “Vietnam Era Veteran” with the definition of “Veteran”;
• In the Policy Statement Section, removed reference to the specifications on constructing the AA/EEO database used by WARF and A.W. Peterson payroll processing centers.
• Formatted in most recent approved System Administrative Policy Template.
Affected Areas on Campuses
• This policy applies to the Human Resources offices at all UW institutions.
• All Campuses must adhere to the provisions of this policy. Institutions may not tailor to their campuses.
• No additional communication is planned at this time.
Background Summary of Policy
• Similar to SYS 220, Affirmative Action Data Collection, the purpose of this policy is to ensure that Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity (AA/EEO) data is collected by all UW institutions in a manner that is consistent with federally mandated definitions using a reliable collection technique.
Rationale for Rescission
• The provisions listed in SYS 1201, Affirmative Action Data were almost perfectly mirrored in SYS 220, Affirmative Action Data Collection. Rather than maintain and revise two nearly identical policies, it was determined that the two policies should be merged into a single document to facilitate understanding of requirements and compliance.
• SYS 1201 was part of the former University Personnel System (UPS) Policy Series, and therefore applied to all UW institutions except for UW Madison. For this reason, it was decided that SYS 220 should be maintained, as it applies to all institutions including Madison.
• The provisions from SYS 1201 not previously included in SYS 220 have been incorporated into SYS 220 in the recent revision, so SYS 1201 is now obsolete and is therefore proposed for rescission.