August Institution Policy Distribution Reminder
As a reminder, the one guidance document in the August institution policy distribution is listed below:
Click on the link above to view the draft and ensure that your feedback is captured for review during the post-comment period. Comments can include attachments, including word documents and PDFs. Please submit your feedback by Friday, September 3.
Below find summaries of the policy.
The revisions to these guidelines will be effective upon approval.
Summary of Guidance and Guidance Revisions
- These guidelines support SYS 1290, Code of Ethics and describe specific requirements for reporting outside activities. The proposed updates clarify that outside activities occurring at any time during the year, for which remuneration was received, are reportable. Updates to the Guidelines are as follows:
- In Section 3, removed the phrase “for the period under contract to the UW System” from the first sentence.
- In Section 4, added “remunerative activities” to the list of activities that must be reported is they occur at any time during the year.
- In Section 4, removed the second and third sentences which stated that remunerative activities were only reportable if they occurred while under contact with the university.
- In Section 5.A.I.1, revised the first bullet to read, “Professionally related outside activities occurring at any time during the year.”
- Removed section 5.A.I.3, which described work at another nonprofit educational institution or research supported by a government agency during periods not on university payroll.
Affected Areas on Campuses
- These updates clarify practices already occurring at the institutions. The departments primarily impacted include Human Resources, Compliance, and Faculty Departments.
- No further guidance beyond the policy language update is needed.
- No further communication is planned at this time.
Interim Compliance Guidance Approval
On August 25, 2021, Vice President Langdon approved the new interim compliance guidance document: Fall 2021 Guidance for Minors on UW System Campuses.
For more information, see the summary below.
This interim guidance will be effective upon approval.
Summary of Interim Guidance
- As we approach the youth programming this fall, it is important to consider how to keep minors safe while visiting campuses as well as how to mitigate the transmission of COVID-19 at campuses to host this population. During Summer 2021, pre-arrival testing with youth was the greatest defense against outbreaks in summer youth programs & activities. Taken as a whole, these interventions are key to mitigating the spread of COVID-19 and should be adopted by campuses as policy.
- This guidance is subject to change based on input from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the State of Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS.)
Affected Areas on Campuses
- This guidance pertains to institutions offering youth activities in the fall of 2021. It specifically applies to the program director, teachers, youth-serving staff, single day youth programs and activities participants, multi-day youth programs and activities participants, Dual Enrolled/Early College Credit Students and their parents, guardians, or caregivers.
- The UW System Offices of Compliance & Integrity is primarily responsible for this guidance, with input and support from the Offices of General Counsel and Risk Management. The Program Directors will be responsible for implementing the guidance on the campuses.
- Additional communication will be provided prior to the expiration of this guidance document.
Policy Effective Dates Reminders
There are a number of previously approved policies that have upcoming effective dates in the coming month. Please review the list of policies below and visit the links to familiarize yourself with the content that will be coming into effect. If you have questions about implementation leading up to the effective date, please contact the policy owner for more information and clarification.
The following policies will be effective on Wednesday, September 1, 2021:
- SYS 807, Medical Withdrawal Policy
- SYS 807 FAQ, Frequently Asked Questions About Medical Withdrawal
- SYS 1035, Information Security: IT Asset Management
- SYS 1035.A, Information Security: IT Asset Management Standard
Interim Policy Action Expiration Notice
The interim policy actions SYS 600-02, Interim: Summer 2021 COVID-19 Testing Requirements and UW System Guidance for COVID-19 Testing and Reopening Campuses to Minors will expire on August 31st, 2021.