Academic and Student Affairs Policy Approved
On June 30, President Cross approved the new academic and student affairs policy SYS 121, Professional Licensure Programs: Determining Student Location.
Please see a detailed description of the new policy below.
This policy will be effective upon approval.
Summary of Policy
- In 2019, the U.S. Department of Education revised the federal regulations initially established in 2016 for institutions that offer distance education in regard to state authorization, notifications and disclosures The new language under the 2019 rules requires institutions to create a policy under which they will determine a student’s location for both Title IV verification purposes as well as state-specific disclosures related to academic program completion requirements to fulfill licensure requirements of states.
- The rules also modify or eliminate many of the required disclosures for distance education programs and shift some of those disclosures to 34 CFR 668.43 to apply to all institutions regardless of modality.
- This policy is needed in response to a new federal requirement.
- The System policy will serve as the university policy until such time that each university create their own processes and policies.
Affected Areas on Campuses
- The parties responsible for this work will be determined by each university.
- Universities will be able to use information in the Student Information System (SIS) to determine student location and academic programs.
- Communication will be disseminated through the Program Integrity Rule coordinator and UW System Administration.