**Effective July 1, 2013, Regent Policy Document 30-4 is superseded by s. 36.27(6)(b), Wis. Stats.**
This policy applies to any student organization(s) with a University of Wisconsin System inter-institutional governance support purpose that are funded or wish to be funded by the mandatory refundable fee (MRF) mechanism.
The purpose of this policy is to describe procedures for student organizations that are funded and seek a change in the level of the MRF, or that wish to be funded by the MRF. In addition, the purpose of this policy is to provide students with the opportunity to determine if the MRF will be used to fund student organizations with an inter-institutional governance support purpose, or change the level of the MRF funding.
The availability of the mandatory refundable fee mechanism shall be limited to Board-recognized student organizations with a University of Wisconsin System inter-institutional governance support purpose, and of which all students of the relevant institutions are members.
Student segregated fees are the primary and preferred means for funding student organizations and membership fees. The United Council of University of Wisconsin Student Governments and other such Board-recognized organizations will be eligible for approval of a mandatory refundable fee (MRF) from the Board of Regents in accordance with this policy. The MRF is a fee collected by the university with tuition and segregated fees as a condition of enrollment, which may be refunded to students upon request.
After the Board approves a MRF, the students may conduct referenda as to whether to begin such a fee, and once initiated, may conduct referenda on the question whether the fee should continue. A referendum to initiate or terminate the MRF may be called for by a majority of the campus student government body or by a petition with signatures representing ten (10) percent of the enrolled student body. Written notification of the referendum must be received by all organizations that wish to be funded by the MRF, by letter postmarked thirty (30) calendar days in advance of an upcoming referendum at any member or non-member institution. The result of the referendum is determined by a simple majority of students voting. Results of the binding referendum shall be implemented with the start of the next academic term, excluding summer session. Campus referenda are limited to one per academic year. The fee may be adjusted, as provided in section 2 below, or reviewed by the Board of Regents.
- Referendum Language: The referendum shall be limited to the following language:The students at the University of Wisconsin _______________agree to support _________ with a mandatory refundable fee of _________ per __________and________ per summer session. The amount plus postage is refundable upon written request to the_______________postmarked within 45 days of the first day of class. The fee may be adjusted or reviewed by the Board of Regents.
- Changes in the Level of the MRF: The following procedure shall be used for consideration of changes in the level of the Mandatory Refundable Fee (MRF):
- The organization seeking a change in the MRF level will first gain approval by its Board of Directors by a 2/3 vote of the members. The proposal for the change will then be taken back to each individual student senate and must be passed by 2/3 of the student senates by a majority vote in each senate. The proposed change will return to the Board of Directors to be passed by a 2/3 vote of the members. The student votes necessary to increase the MRF must all occur in one academic semester.
- The request for the change in funding level will be forwarded to the University of Wisconsin System Administration Senior Vice President for Administrative and Fiscal Affairs to be considered for inclusion in the annual report to the Board of Regents on the segregated fee budgets.
- The changed level, if any, will be implemented in the following term. Referenda indicating the new amount will be held in the normal time-frame after the change is approved by the Board.
Oversight, Roles & Responsibilities
The UW System Office of Administrative and Fiscal Affairs may request reports and budgets of student organizations funded by the MRF, prior to submission to the Board of Regents.
Related RPDs and Applicable Policies or Laws
Financial and Administrative Policy F44: Tuition and Fee Policies for Credit Instruction, UW System Administration
History: RPD 30-4 (formerly 87-3) amended by Res. 10017 (2/10/2012), which amended Res. 6873 (3/10/1995), which amended Res. 5732 (3/8/1991), which amended Res. 3764 and RPD 87-3 (4/10/1987), which rescinded Res. 2217 and RPD 80-4 (7/11/1980).
SYS 805, Tuition and Fee Policies for Credit Instruction (formerly F44)
SYS 820, Segregated University Fees (formerly F50)
[UW System Administrative policies are included for reference and are separate from Regent Policy Documents adopted by the Board.]