The Board of Regents in Resolution 2558 of April 9, 1982, adopted a policy calling for the integration of the extension function within the University of Wisconsin System. The implementation of this policy, while substantially achieved, requires further effort to ensure the realization of its purpose to improve and expand extension programming by making extension an integral function of the departments, colleges, and schools of each University of Wisconsin System Institution. Therefore, the Board of Regents reaffirms its Resolution 2558 of April 9, 1982, endorsing the principles, policies, and recommendations of the Special Regent Study Committee on Extension, including:
- Integration of extension faculty and programs with the faculties and programs of the other institutions of the University of Wisconsin System;
- Annual allocation of funds and positions from University of Wisconsin-Extension to the other University of Wisconsin Institutions on the basis of inter-institutional agreements;
- University of Wisconsin-Extension leadership responsibility for program coordination, statewide planning, and budget accountability for the University of Wisconsin System extension function;
- Reconfirmation of the charge that University of Wisconsin-Extension, in cooperation with the other University of Wisconsin Institutions, develop and expand, through reprogramming and reallocations, the internal budget and personnel flexibility required to meet changing societal needs;
- Encouragement of interaction and cooperation between University of Wisconsin-Extension and other state agencies and the Wisconsin Technical College System to avoid duplication of effort and to maximize effective use of state resources.
The Board approves the following policies to enhance implementation of integration and to strengthen the extension function of the University of Wisconsin System through:
- Establishment of structures to enhance statewide planning, coordination and communication among related disciplines and program areas of the University of Wisconsin Institutions, between the University of Wisconsin-Extension Cooperative and General Extension Divisions, between county and campus-based faculty and staff, and between University of Wisconsin-Extension and other University of Wisconsin Institutions.
- Establishment of joint appointments to allow integrated extension faculty and staff to participate in University of Wisconsin-Extension institutional governance and in statewide extension program planning and development.
- Establishment of a role for University of Wisconsin-Extension in personnel decisions for integrated faculty and staff holding Cooperative and General Extension appointments m the University of Wisconsin Institutions.
- Consistent use of the term “extension” to identify University of Wisconsin institutional extension units, faculty and staff and programs within the statewide extension function
- Incorporation of University of Wisconsin institutional extension programs currently conducted outside the inter-institutional agreements within the program planning and coordination of University of Wisconsin-Extension.
The Chancellor of the University of Wisconsin Colleges and Extension, in consultation with the other University of Wisconsin institutional Chancellors, shall develop and implement as soon as feasible:
- Structures, protocols, and procedures for improved communication and coordination of statewide extension programming between University of Wisconsin- Extension and the other institutions, between the Cooperative and General Extension divisions, between county and campus-based faculty and staff, and among the related disciplines and program areas of the various University of Wisconsin Institutions.
- A format for uniform identification of extension units, programs and faculty and staff of the University of Wisconsin Institutions.
- And shall report to the University of Wisconsin System President by December 1, 1988, on the development of these structures and procedures.
The President of the University of Wisconsin System shall direct the University of Wisconsin System Vice President for Academic Affairs to establish a working group of vice chancellors and the Deans of General and Cooperative Extension, with appropriate staff support to:
- Review and update ACIS-5i to respond to the foregoing Regent policy directives.
- Review, improve, and streamline reporting instruments and instructions for the institutional reporting system, to include the entire range of credit and noncredit extension activities.
- Develop a protocol for reporting information on extension planning to University of Wisconsin System Administration to enable it to monitor effectively the implementation of integration, including inter-institutional communications, program planning and development, the inter-institutional agreement process, and the system of accountability.
- Develop criteria to define extension activities that should fall within the coordination, planning and budgetary control of the inter-institutional agreements.
- Provide rationales and guidelines for the conduct of independent campus extension activities.
- Consider the issue of institutional budgetary flexibility in relation to the statewide extension plan and the annual inter-institutional agreements, and recommend the degree of flexibility necessary within the inter-institutional agreements to meet emerging local needs.
- Establish protocols defining the nature and extent of University of Wisconsin-Extension involvement in personnel decisions for integrated extension faculty and staff, to include:
- definitions and procedures to implement joint appointments within the context of integration;
- considerations that affect the allocation of extension faculty positions;
- format and time line for approval of position descriptions;
- procedures to allow University of Wisconsin-Extension administrators a consultative role in decisions on faculty searches, salary increases, promotion and tenure;
- recognition that tenure and promotion decisions will remain within the authority of campuses to which the positions are assigned.
- Report to the University of Wisconsin System President by December 1, 1988, on implementation of the Working Group recommendations, and on the proposed modifications of ACIS-5i. The President of the University of Wisconsin System shall review the progress of integration and the recommendations of the University of Wisconsin Colleges and Extension Chancellor and the University of Wisconsin System Vice President’s Working Group, and shall inform the Board by its February 1989 meeting of modifications of ACIS-5i and other measures taken to implement Regent policy.
- Upon the recommendation of the President of the University of Wisconsin System, the Board also approves continuation of the .5 FTE position of the Dean of University Outreach at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
i ACIS 5 was later changed to UW System Administrative Policy (SYS) 125.A, Administrative Guidelines for UW System Implementation of Regent Policy on Integration between UW-Extensions and the UW Institutions.
History: Res. 4042 adopted 05/06/1988; amended by Res. 8960, adopted 02/10/2005. Res. 10835, adopted 03/09/2017, authorized technical corrections.
[UW System Administrative policies are included for reference and are separate from Regent Policy Documents adopted by the Board.]