- The Board of Regents reaffirms its position that students should not be requested nor allowed to commit money via segregated fees for use in academic capital budget expenditures. This philosophy extends beyond strictly instructional space to include other capital expenditures that are necessary in support of the primary mission of the University System. It is expected that secondary, non-curricular student use of facilities will occur, in an effort to maximize the use of facilities and meet the needs of students.
- Capital costs related to the various auxiliary enterprises and/or revenue-generating activities should generally be funded by user fees. It is likely that some projects will involve use of segregated fees, such as student unions, recreation facilities, etc., in addition to or instead of user fees.
- Extramural funds such as gifts and grants can be used to replace or supplement any other source(s) of funds that would typically be prescribed for capital expenditures. The Board of Regents reaffirms its position related to the use of outside funds for capital projects:
- Such projects should not be initiated without an opportunity being provided for the Regents to determine the appropriateness of the proposed funds and/or project(s) to System needs.
- The need of a project that also requires a General Purpose Revenue contribution, or a project that would otherwise utilize General Purpose Revenue as a prescribed funding source, should be evidenced by its inclusion in long-range campus plans that reflect overall needs.
- The funding for capital costs need not be necessarily the same as the funding of operating costs for the facility/program. Appropriate funding sources for facility/program operation are documented elsewhere.
- The following list, based on the above funding source parameters, represents the criteria that will be used by the Board of Regents to evaluate the appropriateness of funding proposed for the capital costs of facilities within the University of Wisconsin System:
|Funding Sources for University Facilities|
|Type of Program/Facility||Appropriate Construction|
|Support||Executive Admin. Space||GPR||Gifts/Grants||Seg. Fees|
|Faculty Offices||GPR||Gifts/Grants||Seg. Fees|
|Central Maintenance/Storage||GPR||Gifts/Grants||Seg. Fees|
|Hazardous Waste Storage||GPR||Gifts/Grants||Seg. Fees|
|Campus Roads, Walkways||GPR||Gifts/Grants||Seg. Fees|
|Pedestrian Malls & Bikeways||GPR||Gifts/Grants||Seg. Fees|
|Policy & Security||GPR||Gifts/Grants||Seg. Fees|
|Student Health Services||GPR||Gifts/Grants||Seg. Fees|
(Admissions, Financial Aid, Textbook Rental, Counseling, Advising)
|Multi-Purpose Space||Athletics (except UW-Madison)||GPR||Gifts/User Fees|
|Stadium/Arena||User Fees||Seg. Fees/Gifts|
|All Athletics (UW-Madison)||GPR/PR||Gifts/Grants|
|Auditorium||Academic Purpose||GPR||Gifts/Grants||Seg. Fees|
|Community Benefit||Gifts/Grants||User Fees|
|Child Care||For Students/Staff||GPR||Gifts/Grants|
|For Community||User Fees||Gifts/Grants|
|Physical Education||GPR||Gifts/PR||Seg. Fees|
|Recreation (unless accommodated in instructional space)||Gifts/PR/GPR/Seg. Fees|
|Student Unions||User Fees/Seg. Fees||Gifts/Grants|
|Auxiliary Operations & Support||Gifts/Grants|
|Food Service||User Fees||GPR|
|Parking Lots & Structures||User Fees||Seg. Fees||GPR|
|Retail Sales||User Fees||GPR|
|Student Housing||User Fees||GPR|
|UW Colleges||All Facilities||Municipal||Gifts/Grants||GPR/PR|
|Additional Energy Conservation||GPR||Gifts/Grants/Municipal||PR|
|Food Service/Housing||User Fees||Gifts/Grants||Seg. Fees/GPR|
|Central Campus Utilities||GPR/PR||New Seg. Fees|
|Clinical Science Center||*This section was changed by 1995 Wisconsin Act 27 which restructured the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics and created the Hospital Authority and Hospital Board.|
|Land Acquisition||All Except Parking||GPR||Gifts/Grants||Seg. Fees|
|*This change reflects Program Revenues as an allowable funding source for parcels needed for subsequent development of parking facilities is made on the assumption that, should a site acquired by Program Revenues subsequently be needed for a GPR purpose, the Building Commission will make GPR funds available to reimburse the entire acquisition cost plus a depreciated value of any Program Revenue-funded improvements.|
History: Res. 5500 adopted 5/11/90; amended by Res. 5989, 12/91; reaffirmed by Res. 6257, 11/92 and Res. 6304, 12/92.
SYS 820, Segregated University Fees (formerly F50)
SYS 822, Student Services Funding (formerly G15)
[UW System Administrative policies are included for reference and are separate from Regent Policy Documents adopted by the Board.]