Located in the Highlands area of Madison’s west side, Brittingham House is the official residence of the University of Wisconsin System President and serves as the front door to the UW System.
Thomas E. and Mary Brittingham built the elegant Georgian-style house in 1916 as their final residence. In 1955, their children donated the house and its 15-acre grounds to the University of Wisconsin. It became the official residence of the UW System president in 1977.
As a benefit of employment, Brittingham House is provided as the UW System President’s principal residence.