In honor of Veterans Day, I’d like to personally thank all of the men and women of Wisconsin who have served our great country in the U.S. Armed Forces. As a veteran myself, I understand the personal sacrifice you make to protect our country and our freedoms, and I appreciate as well the sacrifices made by your families.
It’s one of the reasons I’m happy to remind you that the University of Wisconsin System offers military veterans the best services in the country.
The Wisconsin G.I. Bill provides the equivalent of four years of full-time tuition to military veterans and their immediate family members. The bill can be used for undergraduate or graduate education for full-time, part-time or Flexible Option students. In fiscal year 2018, 3,645 eligible veterans and 1,846 eligible family members took advantage of $24.3 million in UW System-funded tuition, fee and related benefits. Veterans are given priority registration at all UW System institutions.
Learn more about the Wisconsin G.I. Bill at wisconsin.edu/veterans/benefits/
In addition, all 13 four-year institutions have achieved UW VETS Certification, our own program to help veterans choose a university.
Certification criteria includes:
- Training faculty and staff on issues veterans may face in transitioning to college.
- Conducting regular surveys of veterans.
- Ensuring campus leadership is aware of the needs and concerns of veterans through a campus steering committee.
- Providing student veteran-focused orientation programming.
- Identifying internal and external academic, financial and social counseling for veterans.
- Providing a dedicated space on campus for veterans to meet.
Now that two-year UW campuses are attached to four-year campuses through restructuring, veterans at the two-year campuses are beginning to be able to take advantage of these services.
For more information about how veterans can take advantage of these services, visit our Veterans web page, wisconsin.edu/veterans/ or contact a veterans adviser at one of our institutions, found through this website: uwhelp.wisconsin.edu/campus-contacts/.
In addition, veterans can learn more about the wide range of benefits Wisconsin has to offer at inwisconsin/veteran.