Effective August 5, 2019, information on “How to Enroll” will only be located on the General Employee Information page.

Enrollment into most benefit plans must be done within 30 days of date of employment. If elections are not made during the initial enrollment period, employees may have another opportunity to enroll in certain plans if they have a qualifying life event or during the Annual Benefits Enrollment (ABE) period. Additional information can be accessed in the drop downs below.

New employees can use Self Service, to enroll in most benefits online.

If you have worked for the UW System or for a State agency in the past, you may need to enroll using paper applications. If you’re unsure, contact your human resources office to determine if you will be able to enroll via Self Service or if you will need to submit paper applications.

Important: Enrollments must be completed within 30 days of your eligibility date.

The benefit elections you make are for the entire calendar year and generally cannot be changed outside of the Annual Benefits Enrollment (ABE) period. However, if you experience a qualifying life event, you may be able to enroll in coverage or make changes to your existing benefits.

Qualifying life events consist of family changes such as marriage, birth of child, or divorce as well as employment changes such as change in appointment percentage and leave of absence. For a more information, click here. If you experience a qualifying life event, most benefit plans have a 30-day window to enroll or make changes. To enroll or make changes to your benefits due to a qualifying life event, you will need to complete and submit paper applications to your human resources office within the designated time frame.

The Annual Benefits Enrollment (ABE) period is offered each fall. All eligible employees can enroll or make coverage changes during ABE by using Self Service.

You will receive email notifications before and during ABE to alert you to the enrollment opportunities.

  • If you enroll in a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) or Access HDHP health plan, enrollment in the Health Savings Account (HSA) is required. Re-enrollment in the HSA is required each year.
  • During ABE, there is an opportunity to increase coverage levels under the Individual & Family Life Insurance Plan (Annual Increase Option).
  • Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA): Re-enrollment is required each year for the Health Care, Limited Purpose Health Care and Dependent Day Care FSAs.

The changes you make during the ABE period are effective January 1st following the ABE period.

  • The following plans do not have an annual enrollment opportunity: State Group Life Insurance, UW Employees, Inc Life Insurance, Income Continuation Insurance. Enrollments or changes to these plans can only be made through the Evidence of Insurability process.

Coordination of Benefits Required

Employees who enroll in the State Group Health Insurance program must provide Coordination of Benefits (COB) information. Click here for instructions on how to provide Coordination of Benefits information.

COB information must be provided when enrolling in a health plan or as other coverage for a spouse is added or ended after enrollment.

If a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) is elected and the required COB information is not provided during the enrollment period, employees will be defaulted to a non-HDHP health plan.

Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.