Are you thinking of retiring?
You are eligible to apply for a retirement annuity from the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) once you meet the following requirements:
- You are at least 55 years old (at least 50 if covered by the Protective WRS category); and
- You are vested* in the WRS; and
- You end all WRS-covered employment.
*You are vested if:
- You have any WRS creditable service prior to July 1, 2011; or
- You have at least 5 years of WRS creditable service if you were first covered by the WRS on July 1, 2011 or later.
Preparing for Retirement
There are several resources you should review before you decide to retire:
- – see what steps you need to take to prepare for retirement
- – outlines what happens to your benefits in retirement
- Estimate the value of your sick leave credits in retirement by using the Sick Leave Credit Estimator
- Estimate your retirement annuity using one of ETF’s online calculators
- Estimate your Social Security benefits using the Social Security Administration’s online calculator
- ETF’s – How to Retire
- Retirement & Savings
- Taking the Mystery Out of Retirement Planning (U.S. Department of Labor)
- Retirement Toolkit (U.S. Department of Labor)
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. This page does not guarantee enrollment or the ability to make changes to your benefits.