If you move from a Faculty, Academic Staff or Limited appointment to a University Staff position, your benefits, leave accruals, and payroll schedule will change. See thefor details about all benefits and leave available to you.
As a University Staff employee you will:
- Be paid every other Thursday for the prior two week period (refer to Pay Schedule)
- Be credited WRS contributions and service on a calendar year basis
- on a calendar year basis
- Pay benefit deductions according to the bi-weekly deduction schedule
Visit the Forms Page for all plan applications, forms, and brochures.
The following plans are not affected by your appointment change and will continue automatically:
- State Group Health Insurance
- Dental Wisconsin
- EPIC Benefits+
- VSP Vision Insurance
- State Group Life Insurance
- Individual and Family Life Insurance
- UW Employees Inc. Life Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Life Insurance
The following plans may be affected by your change in appointment:
- If currently enrolled, you must complete an application within 30 days of your appointment change to continue your coverage. Your premiums will be based on your salary and the amount of sick leave you have accumulated.
- If not currently enrolled, you do not get a new enrollment opportunity due to your appointment change. You may have the opportunity to enroll at a later date through a deferred enrollment opportunity when you accumulate certain amounts of sick leave. See Income Continuation Insurance for details.
Your annual FSA election will remain the same but your per pay period deduction will be recalculated and taken from every bi-weekly paycheck. Your institution will communicate this change to the vendor. Note: You will receive a new FSA account and debit card as a result of this change. Your old FSA card will be deactivated. Please coordinate with your institution contact.
- WRS contributions and creditable service for University Staff employees are reported on a calendar-year basis instead of a fiscal-year basis.
- To receive one year of WRS creditable service, University Staff employees must work 1,904 hours in a calendar year.
- WRS contributions are based on a percentage of your income. If your income changes, the amount of your WRS contribution will also change.
You cease to be eligible for this insurance as of the end of the plan year (September 30th following your movement to University Staff). You are eligible to convert your coverage to an individual policy. Contact your benefits office to request a conversion form. The form must be submitted to Minnesota Life within 31 days of the coverage end date.
As a University Staff employee you will be paid 26 times per year. The same monthly TSA deduction you had prior to becoming University Staff will come out of every bi-weekly pay period unless you submit a Salary Reduction Agreement to your benefits office to change your deduction. For example, if your monthly deduction was $1000 (or $12,000 for the year), when you become University Staff, $1000 will be deducted from your bi-weekly paycheck (or $26,000 for the year) unless you take action to change your deduction.
- As a University Staff employee you will be paid 26 times per year. The same monthly WDC deduction you had prior to becoming University Staff will come out of every bi-weekly pay period unless you contact Wisconsin Deferred Compensation to change your deduction. For example, if your monthly deduction was $1000 (or $12,000 for the year), when you become University Staff, $1000 will be deducted from your bi-weekly paycheck (or $26,000 for the year) unless you take action to change your deduction.
- You should contact the WDC office directly at email@example.com or (877) 457-9327 (select option 2 when prompted).
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. This page does not guarantee enrollment or the ability to make changes to your benefits.