Whether you are new to the UW System or have worked in human resources for a while, below is a list of systems, helpful links and legislative references to use in your daily job duties. Many of the systems require authorized access. Work closely with your supervisor to determine which system(s) to request access to.
UW-Shared Services, Service Operations Website
Use the HRS Administration tab on the UW-Shared Services, Service Operations website to access HRS-related information, including HRS Process notifications, payroll schedules and calendars, training event information and tools to assist in benefits administration.
The KnowledgeBase has instructions for performing tasks in HRS. Explore the KnowledgeBase for information on how to enter absences, time, additional pay, direct deposit, tax withholding and much more.
Human Resource System (HRS)
Access to the Human Resource System (HRS) is vital to your job duties. You will need to request access to HRS. Review the UW-Shared Services, Service Operations Security web page for definitions of roles and instructions on how to request those roles.
Cypress is a report distribution service. Reports are delivered to your Cypress inbox on a daily or weekly basis (depending on the report). Receiving and reviewing these reports is a ongoing activity for Benefits and Payroll administrators. Visit the main Cypress page to learn how to request access and install the Cypress client.
UW Business Intelligence (UWBI)
Employees use Business Intelligence (BI) to help make strategic decisions across various levels. UWBI allows the leveraging of software and services to transform data into actionable intelligence to better assist with decision making.
Through the MyUW Portal:
Employees can access payroll documents, enter their leave time, review leave statements, update their personal information and find news articles.
Managers can approve absences and time in the portal.
Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF)
- ETF home page
- ETF Employer page
- ETF Employer training (recorded webinars)
- ETF Employer bulletins
- ETF systems
- Using ETF Web Applications for Employers (Previous Service and Benefit Inquiry), institution benefits administrators can look up an employee’s previous WRS service.
- myETF Benefits Administrator for Employers allows institution benefits administrators to review health enrollments and access the online Sick Leave Certification system.
- To request access to ETF systems, complete ETF’s Online Access Security Agreement (ET-8928) and email, fax or mail it to UW-Shared Services, Service Operations (Attn: WRS Agent). Once the form is signed by the WRS Agent, UW-Shared Services, Service Operations will send the agreement to ETF. You will receive your login credentials via mail from ETF once your agreement has been approved. Also see, .
General Schedule and Record Management Services
General Records Schedules for the UW System on a variety of business subjects. Go to the General Records Schedule web page to access retention schedules.
- Wisconsin Statute
- Wisconsin Administrative Code
- Chapter UWS 1 – Definitions
- Chapter UWS 3 – Faculty Appointments
- Chapter UWS 5 – Faculty Layoff
- Chapter UWS 10 – Academic Staff Appointments
- Chapter UWS 12 – Academic Staff Layoff
- Chapter UWS 15 – Limited appointments
- Chapter UWS 19 – Unclassified Sick Leave
- Chapter ETF 10 – Administration
- Chapter ETF 20 – WRS
- Chapter ETF 40 – Health Insurance
- Chapter ETF 50 – Disability benefits
- Chapter ETF 60 – Survivor Benefits
- Chapter DWD 225 – Authorization for WFMLA
- Division of Personnel Management (DOA) Main Page
- UW System Government Relations
- Wisconsin State Legislature
- The Wheeler Report
last updated: 6/27/2017