BACKGROUND AND HISTORY
UW-Superior was founded in 1893 as the Superior Normal School. The institution evolved into a State Teachers College in 1927, the Wisconsin State College at Superior in 1951, Wisconsin State University–Superior in 1964, and became part of the new UW System in 1971.
UW-Superior, the smallest of all UW System Institutions, serves the northwest region of Wisconsin. The university has been designated “Wisconsin’s Public Liberal Arts College” by the Board of Regents.
The main site of 124 acres is divided into north and south campuses that are separated by five blocks of private residences. The north campus contains most campus functions. The south campus contains athletic and recreational facilities, additional residence halls, and facilities support functions. The heating plant is located on a site between and to the east of both campuses. Non-contiguous land holdings include the Nelson Outdoor Laboratory, which is a nature/conservancy area. In addition, the university uses and manages wetlands that were created by the Department of Transportation, and are owned by the UW-Superior Foundation.
2019-21 Capital Budget Projects
There were no major projects requested for this institution in the 2019-21 Capital Budget request.