BACKGROUND AND HISTORY
UW-Stout began in 1891 as a private institution called the Stout Manual Training School. In 1911, the training school became a public institution named Stout Institute and received teacher-training accreditation in 1928 with programs centered on industrial arts and home economics. In 1932, Stout was accredited as a college and received Master’s degree accreditation in 1948. The institution became Stout State College in 1955, Stout State University in 1964, and UW-Stout became part of the UW System in 1971.
In keeping with it’s tradition as an institution with a limited number of highly-targeted technical programs in four colleges, in 2007, UW-Stout received the designation of Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University.
UW-Stout is located in downtown Menomonie, and consists of a main campus, which accommodates most campus functions, and a north campus that is located four blocks from the main campus and contains several residence halls. The campus borders both commercial and residential areas. There are no non-contiguous land holdings. The Stout University Foundation owns 385 acres in the Stout Technology Park, which was created as a means to connect technology-oriented businesses with UW-Stout’s areas of expertise.
2019-21 Capital Budget Projects
The Board of Regents did not request any projects for this institution for the 2017-19 biennium.