BACKGROUND AND HISTORY
UW-Platteville was founded as Platteville Normal School, in 1866, as the first state teacher preparation institution in Wisconsin. The university also has roots in the Wisconsin Mining Trade School, established in 1907 to train specialized technicians to work in the mining operations surrounding Platteville. The school became the Wisconsin Institute of Technology in 1939 and merged with the Platteville State Teachers College in 1959 to become the Wisconsin State College and Institute of Technology. In 1966, the name was changed to Wisconsin State University-Platteville, and it became part of the new UW System in 1971.
UW-Platteville is a comprehensive university that is STEM-focused, with more than half of all graduates earning a degree in a science, technology, engineering, mathematics, or agricultural field. The university has experienced strategic and sustained growth during the past decade, and increased enrollment by 48%.
The main 300-acre campus is located on the southwest side of Platteville in a residential area characterized by gently rolling topography. The eastern campus zone contains administrative and academic functions, the central zone academic, athletic, and student union functions, and the west zone residence halls and additional green space. Non-contiguous land includes the 430-acre Pioneer Farm, which serves as a hands-on laboratory for students in the School of Agriculture, a 90-acre parcel that is used as a natural area/science resource, and a five acre athletic practice field that is located two blocks north of campus.
2019-21 Capital Budget Projects
There were no major projects requested for this institution in the 2019-21 Capital Budget request.