BACKGROUND AND HISTORY
UW-Milwaukee began in 1885 as Milwaukee Normal School, moving to its present site in 1909. Later it became Milwaukee State Teachers College and the Wisconsin State College of Milwaukee. In 1956, it merged with University of Wisconsin to become the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and in 1971
UW-Milwaukee is one of two doctoral campuses in the UW System, and is the second largest UW System institution. UWM currently has 14 schools and colleges with 94 undergraduate programs, and 32 doctoral degrees, with a university-wide focus on academic research, teaching, and community service.
The 104-acre campus is located in a residential area on Milwaukee’s upper East Side. The Kenwood Campus was assembled from land and buildings of five adjacent institutions. The nineteen-acre Downer Woods Natural Area is protected from development by state statute. Non-contiguous sites include properties on the east side, the University Services and Research Building northwest of campus, the University Center for Continuing Education and the Zilber School of Public Health downtown, the Great Lakes Research Facility on the south side, and a biology field station. In addition to on-campus housing, two residential facilities on the east side which are owned by the UWM Foundation, are operated by campus housing.
2019-21 Capital Budget Projects
|2019-21 ENUMERATION REQUESTS|
|Chemistry Bldg/Utilities Extension||$129,535,000||$129,535,000||$0||$0||$0||$0|
|Student Union Renovation||$40,723,000||$0||$35,000,000||$5,723,000||$0||$0|
|Klotsche Center Annex Addition||$7,000,000||$0||$0||$7,00,000||$0||$0|
|2019-21 PLANNING AND 2021-23 ADVANCE ENUMERATION REQUEST|
|Engineering Bldg/Central Utilities Exten||$103,258,500||$95,417,000||$0||$0||$0||$7,841,500|