BACKGROUND AND HISTORY
UW-La Crosse was founded in 1909 as the La Crosse State Normal School. It opened in September of that year with 19 faculty members and 176 students. The institution evolved into a State Teachers College in 1927, the Wisconsin State College at La Crosse in 1951, Wisconsin State University-La Crosse in 1964, and became part of the new UW System in 1971.
UW-La Crosse is noted for programs in allied health and the sciences, international business, information systems, and education. As applications have increased each year, the university has implemented a Growth, Quality, and Access plan and has experienced a growth in enrollment.
The main campus is located in the east central part of La Crosse, surrounded by a residential neighborhood and includes both historic buildings and those of more contemporary style. The 2005 Campus Master Plan included architectural guidelines that set a desired style of Collegiate Gothic influences. The compact campus has green space that has been designed and maintained for maximum value and impact. An 18-acre parcel of land located approximately one-half mile north of campus houses physical plant facilities, and provides field space for athletics, physical education, and recreation. In addition, two residential properties, which are less than a mile from campus, are used to house visiting foreign scholars, instructors, and students.
2019-21 Capital Budget Projects
|2019-21 ENUMERATION REQUESTS|
|Prairie Springs Science Center, Ph II||$83,020,000||$78,140,000||$0||$0||$0||$4,880,000|
|Coate Hall/Sanford Hall Addns & Renovs||$15,251,000||$0||$13,251,000||$2,000,000||$0||$0|
|Graff Main Hall HVAC System Renovation||$13,822,000||$13,822,000||$0||$0||$0||$0|
|Fieldhouse & Soccer Support Facility||$49,035,000||$0||$24,517,500||$24,517,500||$0||$0|