News & Events - University of Wisconsin System
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEFeb. 8, 2002
Contact: Erik Christianson
University of Wisconsin Board of Regents
February 2002 Meeting
News Summary of Day 2
The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents continued its February 2002 meeting on Friday (Feb. 8), as the full board met to hear a report from UW System President Katharine Lyall and take action on several items.
As she does at every Regents' meeting, Lyall presented a number of important items to the board in her report. Lyall introduced Kris Andrews, the new coordinator of federal relations for UW System, and outlined highlights of Andrews' recent report to the board on President Bush's fiscal 2003 budget.
Lyall also noted the upcoming departure of General Counsel Elizabeth Rindskopf Parker, who is leaving UW System at the end of February to become dean of the McGeorge School of Law at the University of the Pacific in northern California.
The president presented to the board a number of "good news" items, including the 100th anniversary of 4-H; a UW-Platteville initiative with its sister institution in China; the Milwaukee Industrial Innovation Center; the selection of Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Cora Marrett and UW-Madison Professor Andrew Porter as lifetime members of the National Associates of the National Academies of Science; new social work curriculum at UW-Eau Claire; the election of UW-Stout Chancellor Charles Sorensen to the National Council for History Education; and the naming of 11 UW campuses as outstanding for Hispanic students by the national publication, Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education.
Full text of Lyall remarks: http://www.wisconsin.edu/news/2002/r020208a.htm
The board approved several items of interest on Friday morning:
- revisions to UW-Extension faculty policies and procedures.
- implementation of a new Ph.D. program in Second Language Acquisition at UW-Madison.
- final approval of the $42.1 million Klotsche Center Addition, Remodeling and Parking project at UW-Milwaukee;
- final approval of the $276,000 budget addition to the UW-Madison Southeast Recreational Facility Project;
- election of Deputy General Counsel Patricia Brady as an assistant trust officer;
- resolution of appreciation for Elizabeth Rindskopf Parker.
Background information on approved items: http://www.uwsa.edu/bor/index.htm
The Board of Regents will hold its next meeting March 7-8 in Van Hise Hall on the UW-Madison campus.